Thursday, October 6, 2011

"The Freedom Writers Diary"

To begin, “The Freedom Writers” was an amazing movie. This movie was an inspirational movie that makes me wants to take on teaching, make a difference in students’ lives. When I first heard to watch this movie I thought to myself, “great another boring movie that I will not enjoy at all”. But from the beginning, it caught my attention. Watching from the start to where these students came from. Their background, everyday life style, and tragic past have made me think that I don’t have it as bad as these teens. I don’t know where I would stand if I lived the way they did. Too scared to walk outside because you might get jumped or shot at or wondering where you are going to sleep at night because you’re homeless. 

Each of these students grew and learned to expect each other and to earn respect you need to give respect. These students are the way they are because of the way they were raised. They needed to protect their own whether you were Hispanic, Caucasian, African American, or Korean. Everyone was there from their own to protect one another. This all changed from one powerful woman who made a difference in all these students’ lives.  

Erin Gruwell, the teacher of room 203 to these students. Erin made a difference in their lives because she cared for their education and for their outside situations. Erin brought the classroom as a family. Where students felt safe in the classroom and considered the classroom as a home. Erin got the students to realize they are smart, and good enough for the classroom. She had each student keep a diary to write whatever they wanted. It could have been a written from the past, the present, or the future it just could have been anything to where something was written everyday by each student. After Gruwell continued reading what the students wrote in their diaries made her closer to each student and to reach their level in where they stand.

Each student became more respectful, caring to one another, and participated to their school work. Each day became more and more impressive to the students finally understanding that there are people who care about you even if they are a different races then you and because of this Erin received the respect in return. Towards the end of the students sophomore year she had each student type up their diaries and the title of all of these became “The Freedom Writers Diary” was published in 1999. This was a very powerful movie and I enjoyed watching every minute of it. I would recommend it to anyone because it’s a movie I feel anyone who enjoy as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment